I’m sure you’ve heard the old saying, “ the hurrier I go the behinder I get”. Multitasking has become the norm. We begin one task which before completed leads to another. Some people even welcome the busyness of mindless tasks to avoid looking at the BIGGER ISSUES in their lives, such as dealing with difficult decisions or unpleasant situations. This action addiction actually has a short term dopamine response that keeps you a safe distance from experiencing life.
My coach, Christine Kane, (yes, I have a coach And an accountability buddy) has a saying, “Slow Down to Speed Up”. Get focused. Get clear on what matters most right now. Give your attention to one task at a time, instead of to the multitasking that scatters our attention and creates chaos and confusion. Multitasking prevents us from being fully present. Instead, we feel exhausted,thoughts whirling,frustrated, and like we are spinning our wheels in the mud.
So, ready to hit reset?
- Turn off your phone, your social media notifications and anything else that may distract you. You can do it!
- Give yourself permission to have an uninterrupted block of time to refocus and get clear. You may want use this time to complete one task or to organize your priorities for the day or the upcoming week or just Breathe- You get to Decide- 5 minutes,30 minutes, an hour, 2 hours, and set your timer.
- Before beginning, I want you to sit quietly for a moment. Close your eyes if you want to. Feel your feet firmly on the floor. Feel your thighs and your back pressing into your chair.
- Now, take your awareness to your breath. Are you breathing? Just checking. How does the breath feel as it moves in and out through your nose? Find your normal rhythm.
- Next, breathe in SLOWLY to the count of 4. PAUSE at the top of the breath and count to 4. Then breathe out SLOWLY, to the count of 4 and PAUSE, counting to 4. Breathe this way for 4 breaths and then resume your normal breath.
- Now that you are fully present in the moment, return to your task, focused and more clear.
- When your timeout is completed, set your timer to take check in breaks throughout your day. Take a minute to hit the Reset button and Refocus. Breathe deeply and Relax.
Ask yourself, “Am I taking action that helps me reach my goals or priorities for today?
I am challenging you to “Slow Down to Speed Up”. Be mindful of where your attention is focused. Get present. Get clear. Breathe!